My family

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Wonderful Newfoundland Vacation!

I had hoped to continue on with my last blog everyday while I was vacationing in Newfoundland but of course the Internet wasn't cooperating while we were there and when it was working either mom or Amy was on the computer or I was busy doing something else.

So Anyways, I've now learned that driving across Newfoundland with a 16 month old is not a good idea and I doubt I'll be doing it ever again!  The lovely nursery rhyme CD that we played for Lyla on the first part of our trip had mysteriously went missing, much like mom's ferry tickets, plus Lyla kept throwing her soother around in the car and we couldn't find it.  We had to make frequent stops so that Lyla could get out of her car seat and have a little crawl around.  At this point, germs on dirty floors in restaurants and gas stations were the last things on my mind since she needed her freedom to roam and was expressing it frequently in the car.

Finally we arrived at our destination at around 7 or 8pm to the house mom and dad bought just a couple of months ago.  It's a lovely house but smaller than I'm used to and I can't believe the prices of the houses!

My home has changed so much since I moved away when I was 18 years old.  Now there are houses in what used to be my favourite play or hang out spots.  MY rock that's on the beach in front of my former house, the one I always would sit on to watch the sunset is now covered with a pile of rocks serving as a break wall that blocks off the whole beach that we used to be able to walk on right up to the point where a river meets and ocean.  I brought Amy down my old road and showed her where I grew up and these places I used to play in and I was sad that they weren't there anymore.....Oh the memories!

Aside from the physical changes, all of my close friends are gone.  I didn't visit one friend and I've just lost touch with the ones who are still there.  It really didn't bother me though, I was very happy to see a lot of my family and my parents friends who I've known practically all my life.

Newfoundland is such a unique place.  Where else would you be called "my lover", "my darling", "my sweetheart", by the waitress or the convenience store clerk?  Just interacting with my fellow Newfies again was such a heartwarming experience, I've forgotten what it was like to really be on "Da Rock".

No comments:

Post a Comment